[HCI] The Power of GUIs and Smart Kids

I was at a post-wedding party this afternoon, and was entertaining some kids with my Kyocera smartphone (ie the "geekphone" or "oh my god how big is that phone?" phone).

What was really amazing was that these two kids from taiwan, around 7 and 11, just picked up playing a bunch of these games even though they could barely read any English. Through trial and error, and presumably some learned experiences with interaction design patterns, they just started figuring out how to play the various puzzle and action games I have on my phone. Simply amazing. I don't think I'd be anywhere as successful (or as absolutely fearless) playing foreign-language games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Fix a Jammed Toyota Camry Trunk

Web 2.0 and Research

NYTimes: It Takes a Cyber Village to Catch an Auto Thief